Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Monday, August 13, 2007

What young adults think about church

A few 20-something women associated with Central meet regularly for Bible Study. I recently asked them what they like/dislike about church. See if you agree with them :) Let me know what you'd add!

What I don’t like about church…
Don’t mix politics and religion: “Tell me principles and let me decide.”
Hell-fire and brimstone: “I want to come to God out of love, not fear.”
They expect you to know Bible stuff, please explain!
Perception of church-goers as “blindly” believing anything
Peer pressure
Brainwashing
No focus on service or mission
Forced touching: holding hands, shaking hands, hugs
Encouraging people to live a “bubble” instead of real life

What I like about church…
Singing together
Realistic and practical applications
Uplifting
Keeps me accountable
Caring community
Good sermons that education: history, propose theories, motivate
Religious and biblical history and background
Intergenerational
Feeling safe

No comments: