Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

About families

I just put my sister on an airplane. Lorna stayed with me for 5 weeks here in Alaska. She's 20 and will be a junior at Wartburg College in Iowa. Alaska is the farthest she's traveled from home, the longest time away from my parents.

I miss her already.

It's interesting, I think, that while I rest in the bittersweetness of time well spent and saying goodbye, I'm getting ready to preach a challenging sermon tomorrow about division within families.

Jesus says that his word will divide, and cause families to react against each other. Must the word of God always affect our most cherished relationships this way?

1 comment:

pb said...

If Jesus didn't challenge us closest to our heart, would any of this really matter? I think Jesus rocks us at our very core so as to make an actual difference in our lives... not just a superficial surface difference... of course, that's just me.