Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Monday, August 13, 2007

Sermon on conflict and sexuality

I dislike conflict. I dislike preaching on it even more. Still, in light of the recent decisions of the ELCA's churchwide assembly, and the fact that for our congregation we used a text on Aug. 12 about conflict, I couldn't avoid it.

I preached a sermon on Aug. 12 about conflict. I also talked about homosexuality from the pulpit, the "third rail" of ministry at Central. I did not take any sides, because it's not about sides. It's about learning to live together despite our inevitable differences. It's about not running from conflict but entering into it in thoughtful ways.

For those in church on Sunday, thanks for listening. I'd love to hear your feedback, even if, or maybe especially, if you didn't agree.

For those who missed chuch on Sunday, I'll post a copy of my sermon online as soon as I can figure out how.... :)

No comments: