Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

I Heart My Job

Another pastor asked me recently to tell her the Top 10 most exciting things about my job. I actually enjoyed generating the list.

Any clergy out there reading this, what would be on YOUR list?

• Being with people in grief. Hospital visits. Funerals.
• Weekly text studies. Interactions with colleagues.
• Simplicity of Lutheran sacraments. It’s all about what God has already done!
• Helping people see the Bible as a living, relevant Word.
• The prophets. Enough said.
• Preaching grace, grace, grace.
• Being present in communities, especially lower socio-economic areas.
• Working with young adults. Offering church that meets them where they are.
• Dialogue on hard stuff: life, death, grief, loss, evil in self/world, etc.
• Exploring spirituality as an essential part of human experience.

No comments: