Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Brevig Mission, wrap up

Sorry for the delay in the blogging...we returned safely from Brevig on July 16.

We spent Sunday, July 15 cleaning Brian's house and the church. There was much toilet scrubbing, mopping, vacuuming and general tidying. We hoped we left things a little better than we found them.

After the cleaning, we had a free afternoon. Some of us hiked up to one of the "mountains" outside of the village. We hiked all the way into the fog, up and up and up until we couldn't see the village...so we decided that was far enough. It's such a treat to walk on the squishy tundra and look out over the hauntingly empty hills around Brevig.

When I got back from the hike, Pr Brian called and asked me to pick him up. He had boated across to Teller to do worship that morning, but the water was too choppy for him to boat all the way to the village site. He planned to boat part way to a spit of land on which the village folks set up summer fish camps. I was to drive the 4-wheeler the 3.5 miles to pick him up.

Um, I've never driven a 4-wheeler...

So I asked Jenny to teach me. She's about 23, recently divorced and has a 4-year-old. As we walked to the 4-wheeler (locals call them ALL Hondas, regardless of make), she chatted with me about her life. Then she taught me how to drive, a 30-second crash course. I drove off to get Brian... relieved when I arrived alive at Fred Olanna's fish camp.

When I returned, Ray helped me load up the Honda and trailer and we hauled a load of luggage back to the boat by Fred Olanna's fish camp. We had to boat all our bodies and stuff across to Teller after worship that night, so as to be picked up early the next morning by Pastor Matt from Nome.

Worship was at 7:30. It was great to see Pr Brian in his white alb, liturgically-appropriate green stole, jeans and muddy shoes. He played hymns on the guitar, with parishioners picking the hymns as we went along.

Then he preached on the Good Samaritan, which we had used as a text during the week. It was so great to hear him preach and I was delighted to see his extemporanous style. I love that! He gave me things to think about: Who is my neighbor?

After worship, Elder Rita Olanna got up and thanked us for coming and asked us to introduce ourselves. It was special to be honored by her.

Before we knew it, it was time to go. Kids hung around us everywhere, asking if we were coming back next year. I'm so pleased that I can say, "Yes, Central will be here!" I'm so proud of this congregation for supporting this ministry.

More Honda rides came next, to get us all down to Fred Olanna's fish camp for the shorter boat ride to Teller. I drove the Honda back and forth about 4 times to help shuttle. A man named Robert Rock drove it back for me after I made the last trip. It felt good to be out in the chilly air, with the hum of the Honda engine, watching the waves slap the beach and waving to the kids at the fish camps as we drove by.

It's always hard for me to leave Brevig.

At the Teller church, we found that Brian had emptied the honeybuckets that morning (praise God)! We had brief devotions where we discussed what we'd take from this trip. Everyone learns something unique but each person was touched in some way. I mentioned that this is why I do this repeatedly: each time, it changes me.

I fell asleep that night in my sleeping bag, next to my sister, on the floor of a dusty church building in Teller, Alaksa, in complete contentment.

Thanks for sharing our journey!

1 comment:

pb said...

So what's next in the faith adventure's of Lisa?