Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Friday, July 13, 2007

Brevig Mission, Day 4

Day 3 of VBS, and our 4th day in Brevig Mission. Can't believe we have only one day left of VBS.

I started the day with a walk to the dump, which is somewhat of a destination, since the gravel road to get there is nicely maintained. I walked partway with Lorraine and Jenny, locals girls (16 and 22) who chatted with me but then turned around 'cause I was walking too fast.

I confess I was a bit low-energy today. Just tired from staying up so late (this CRAZY sun) and getting up early. Of course we've got nothing on the sleep habits of the locals. When we left on our walk at 9 AM, Lorraine and Jenny hadn't been to bed yet. When do they sleep? I can't say.

Our theme today was "Love your neighbor as yourself," and we did Good Samaritan for the skit. Merri Lynn was the skit organizer and narrator...she did a great job! She also recruited our talented actors. Karen was a great Jewish woman who got robbed by Lorna, Dianne and Eva. The kids just laughed at this robbing scene, as our actors were so hilarious. Ethan and Ray got laughs as Priest and Temple Assistant (respectively) who passed by, and then Heather rocked as the Good Samaritan.

For crafts today, we made masks out of paper plates and kids decorated them with pompoms, yarn, crayons. They loved it! Dianne did a nice Job of talking to the kids about making these as "helper" puppets, pretending the puppets were the good Samaritans.

Attendance was a bit lower today (Pastor Brian was out fishing on the beach and tons of kids were swimming...more on this later) and, again, my energy was a bit low. Still, the kids did a great job singing, making crafts and playing games. It's so great to have 10 adults to pitch in.

Today was Doreen's birthday; she turned 8. At least 10 kids came up to me to tell me it was Doreen's birthday and ask me what we were going to do and when we would sing to her. When it was time for the singing and I asked what song they wanted to start with, they all screamed, "Happy Birthday." Interesting...their biggest concern was that Doreen get the attention she deserved on her special day. Of course we did sing and gave her a special birthday cookie.

We played some outdoor tag games, briefly interrupted when a man came walking up from the beach with a fishing rod. "Reuben!" they screamed. Turns out this young man had just returned from Iraq and the kids were thrilled to see him again. I was touched to see this display.

All in all, another great day! Tomorrow is our last day of VBS..and we're doing a community meal of chili dogs to follow. We'll have kids sing for their parents and put on their coats of many colors. I'm excited! :)

No comments: