Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Thursday, March 01, 2012

New Zealand wrap up

We're back from New Zealand and catching up with bills, home, life and people, not necessarily in that order. We could have stayed much longer; we loved New Zealand. I've so often found a deep spiritual connection in the earth's open spaces and I was so taken and moved by the diversity and wonder of the geography there. God is everywhere, of course, but so apparent in the rolling green hills, rocky coastline, white beaches, alpine lakes and mountain ridges. Perhaps I just pay more attention to God when I'm outside.

I wanted to share a few pictures from NZ (N-Zed as the Kiwis say) and comment a bit more on our visit to Pastor Chris and his parish in Upper Moutere, South Island.

Chris and his wife Haidee were the only NZ Lutherans we met. I'd hoped to connect with one more pastor but our schedules didn't match. Also, we were in rural areas much of the time and churches were more often in cities. By the way, there are only 9 Lutheran churches in New Zealand, so I think my percentage of visitation was pretty good!

As I mentioned in a past blog, Chris was young: just one year into his first call. I can say that's young after 6 years of service! He was energetic about his call to ministry and offered thoughtful reflections on the life of a young clergyperson in a small town (most people knock before coming into the parsonage where they live, but not everyone!) We talked a lot about work, too. When is it work? When is it social? How do you find balance?

The church (St. Paul's) is an older-style church building with the cemetery plot around the building. I always like this model, though some may find it antiquated or spooky. It reminds me of the country churches around Decorah, Iowa, and, perhaps more importantly, it reminds me of the communion we share with all the saints, those here and those who have gone before us.

Inside the church, it looks old-school, too, with pews and traditional chancel area. But there's also a carpeted play area with toys. And a screen. And a large blue arm chair. Chris says he sits in it during the children's sermon and he let me sit there too.

The village of Upper Moutere is pretty small. Besides the church there is a tiny general store, an elementary school and a bar that boasts it is the oldest one in New Zealand. Outside of town are a few wineries that make good use of the dry and hot climate. The elementary school is right next to the church and Chris goes over there during the days sometimes to connect with youth. There's something in me that really likes this old "parish" model, where the church makes connections with a whole community, whether the community comes to them or not. It's a bit harder to do that with all of Anchorage but I wonder again about connecting in our neighborhood near Central.

I remember hearing the term "ancient-future" to describe how some churches keep the old traditions but embrace new ideas too. I kept thinking of this phrase when I was inside St. Paul's. I wonder how other churches (like ours?) honor this ancient-future tension. I also keep thinking about how we can use screen and projector to enhance worship and not detract. It's funny - for some reason the screen in that old-school sanctuary didn't really bother me.

It was great to meet Chris and his wife. Maybe we'll do that pulpit exchange someday. Apparently, the last time the Australia/NZ Lutheran church voted on women's ordination, the "yeas" were more than 50%. Someday.

No comments: