Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Friday, January 06, 2012

We come bearing gifts

Today is Epiphany, the end of the Christmas season and a date that commemorates the Magi's visit to the Christ child. In honor of the day, I took down our small Christmas tree, put away the Christmas cards and then cleaned the house for good measure.

I really like this season in the church year, since the texts are ones that celebrate the light of Christ and the way Christ is revealed (made manifest!) in our world. Of course I won't actually be in church all of the time, but part of my sabbatical is on how we see Christ in our world.

I also like this season because in Alaska, a little more light each week makes a big difference. I've already noticed that it's not pitch dark anymore at 5 pm and the light creeps in a little earlier each morning.

I saw my spiritual director yesterday. She's a lovely woman who listens well and offers well-timed insights. She asked me what I took away from yesterday's session. I told her it was all about gifts.

I've spent so much time thinking about and being amazed by what a gift this sabbatical is to me. I feel so thankful, so blessed, so fortunate, so gifted. She reminded me that as I travel, I will be a gift to others. In fact, that's really the entire point of being gifted in the first place. It may sound funny, but that had not occurred to me in connection with the sabbatical.

On this Epiphany day, that's my meditation. I have received so many gifts. I will (somehow, God-willing) be a gift to others.

No comments: