Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Lessons learned (so far)

I'm leaving for Hawaii in a few hours, the first of three big travels on sabbatical. The snow falling outside reminds me how starved for sunshine and warmth we all are this time of year (though the skiing has been great).

As I get ready to go, I've been reflecting on what I've learned or thought about so far, in a sabbatical only 11 days old.

1.) I'm nicer. You might think a pastor is always nice. Hardly. In my normal life, I rush around a lot and often don't make time to listen or talk to people, especially when I'm not at church. I noticed in the gym this week that I'm moving slower, holding doors open, asking people how they are doing and actually listening. Last week I spent about 5 minutes answering a woman who asked how to pick out the right running shoe. I'm nicer when I'm moving slower.

2.) I was tired. I don't mean physically, though I have been getting a lot more sleep. I mean I'm emotionally-mentally-spiritually-professionally tired. This is how I know: I was surfing Trinity Presbyterian's website last week before I worshipped there Sunday. It's a great website and I was really excited about some of their wording, ideas and themes. I thought: "Hey, we could incorporate some of their ideas and programming at Central, it would be awesome!" Then I thought about all the work it would take and I promptly wanted to go back to bed and sleep.

3). Don't work. Really. While working on the sermon for the folks at Kona this weekend was energizing, I made another choice this week that wasn't. I attended the AFACT action (public meeting) on Denali KidCare on Monday. I had worked very, very hard on the prep for this meeting but I didn't get to see the Promised Land of actually carrying out it. I wanted to watch the other leaders succeed, though. They did a great job. However, I left feeling frustrated, angry and hopeless. Not at the AFACT folks but at many who testified on the issue and at a state government that (in my opinion) ignores the needs of the working poor and justifies it with a "thin veneer of moral argument," to quote a friend who shall remain nameless. I'm mad and I got hooked and it feels like I had to start over again with the sabbatical rest.

4). I'm a better wife. I've had more time with my husband and I love it. I've been able to take on a few more domestic duties and I've made dinner for him several times. It's nice to be able to give more of myself to our relationship. I'm also nicer, see point one.

It's a good start. I look forward to what I'll learn in Hawaii. I'm not taking a laptop, so I'll only post here when I have access to a public computer. Time to slow down.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Pastor Lisa, I wish you well on your journey. I also have noticed that when I slow down I'm actually nicer to be around. When I get stuck in my studies and work and anything else that comes along I tend to ignore people. I'm concentrating on what is at hand not what is in my life. I'm glad you found this out. It is fun to redescover yourself.

Sandra Mjolsnes said...

I've been following your blog with loving amusement as you learn to slow down - I imagine it is a challenge. As I both enjoy and struggle with my slightly shorter work week (more time at home, what shall I do?) I try to remember that when we fill every minute like hamsters running on a wheel, there is no quiet empty space into which God can speak to us. It is hard to create that space and tolerate it, but I think it is rewarding, too. Blessings on your Epiphany and your Sabbatical.

Central Lutheran said...

Good girl! I'm so glad you're not taking the laptop. I fretted over the decision to leave mine home, and didn't regret it once. Love, Kathy