Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Monday, January 09, 2012

A pastor walks into a church...

After spending most Sundays of the past six years standing in front of the church (which doesn't terrify me), I finally had a chance to walk in from the back (which apparently does terrify me).
I chose to attend Trinity Presbyterian in Anchorage on my first Sunday off on sabbatical. I chose Trinity because I'd heard great things about their creativity in worship and music. Also, a friend recommended it (he wasn't there on Sunday, though!) I checked out their website, which was terrific, and got excited to worship with these folks.
But then I had to walk in the door. I went alone and I didn't know anyone and I was intimidated. Though I was welcomed warmly at the door, I sprinted to the bathroom. Why was this so hard?
I didn't see anyone I knew and felt dumb just standing there by myself, so I got a bulletin (another friendly usher) and sat down about halfway on the left. I was early. As people slowly flocked it, I became more terrified that I was going to be in the front, because everyone sat behind me. I felt a palpable relief when a family of three finally sat down a few pews in front.
Now feeling better, I turned my attention away from my self-consciousness and to the place. I haven't been in many Presbyterian churches so I can't say what's normal. But I noticed that there was a cross at the back of the chancel area with a few small stained-glass windows. I also noticed a very small altar along front/right side with purple banners. Purple? The star of the stage was the band, front and center, with keyboard, guitar, drums and two vocalists. There were also three screens up front, which showed song lyrics and images throughout the service.
As I looked around me, the people were mostly white, apparently middle-class. There were elders, middle-aged folks, young families and quite a few children. Many people were in jeans; I might have been overdressed in my business casual clothes.
The band was good, but I didn't know most of the songs. Apparently I wasn't alone because many people didn't sing the first two songs. I didn't either, because though the words were up front, I struggled with the tune. Now I see why many folks at Central insist that the opening hymn be familiar. I felt dumb just standing there!
After the opening songs, we sat down for a children's sermon. The theme for the day was "Freedom," and the woman giving the children's sermon (not the pastor) talked to the kids about self-control. Then the kids went off to "Kid's Church."
Then Pastor Tom Letts appeared, dressed in a purple shirt and tan pants, no vestments or stole. (By the way, most of the leaders were in purple. What lectionary calendar is this? Lutherans are in the green season).
Pastor Tom led us in silent prayer and we sang another song. Then he preached on "Freedom," which is the first in a sermon series called "The Magnificent Seven." He used Galatians 5:1-14 as a primary text. Images and words appeared on the screen as he preached and the deliver was extemporaneous. He made a great deal of eye contact and moved around.
The main theme was, of course, freedom. He talked about finding freedom from guilt, self and fear. We saw a clip of "Braveheart," where William Wallace takes a stand against the British. He finished the sermon with two "absolute truths," which were: make a stand (don' t run away from fear, pain and guilt) and never make a stand alone. To emphasize this point, he asked everyone to stand and move into a tight group in the center where we stayed for the rest of the service. Again, I felt a bit uncomfortable but I think I wasn't the only one. We stayed there for another song (I'll Fly Away-- well done), offering, announcements and a closing blessing.
After worship, I went to the banner in the narthex that said: "7 minute party," where I learned from the bulletin that new people were supposed to go to meet a member and get a goody-bag. I received a small bag with chocolates and brochures about Trinity. See photo to the left.
Then I ran into the mother of a good friend and visited with her. Finally, I met Pastor Tom and "outed" myself as a fellow clergy (and a fellow Lilly Endowment recipient - Tom leaves for sabbatical in April). I felt much more comfortable after the service, though I think it was because I was able to find people to talk with.
As for the service itself, I found the theology very consistent with a Lutheran understanding of God's grace that comes undeserved. A seminary professor once said, "Did Jesus have to die for you to preach this sermon?" Jesus did have to die for Tom's sermon and it had a good take-home message.
As a good Lutheran, though, I missed the liturgy. I also missed having a more complete reading of scripture. There was only one scripture reading instead of the slate of lectionary texts I've come to appreciate. There was also no mention of the Baptism of Jesus (the festival for Jan. 8) or the liturgical season of Epiphany. And while the praise band did a good job, it isn't my favorite music. I had the sense that this style of worship is a bit "performance-based" rather than participatory.
I also really missed the Eucharist. I asked someone after the service about it and learned communion is distributed the first Sunday of every month. I felt incomplete as I left worship.
I'm not sure if the differences I noted are Presbyterian or Trinity specific. Even though some parts of the service came up short (for me), I appreciate what Trinity is doing. The people were friendly and welcoming (not scary as I'd feared) and the theology is mainline and gospel-centered. We need more of this kind of Christian voice in Anchorage!

2 comments:

Central Lutheran said...

So, the video screens. At what points did you find them helpful? Annoying? What would you take away from this visit as we plan our audio-video upgrade at Central? --Love, Kathy

Ellen said...

Most of what you noted is Trinity-specific, not Presbyterian. Although communion once/month is pretty typical for us. There is a wide variety in the denomination from more to less liturgical, style of music, etc. But we don't have altars, just communion tables! Theological rationale for that is too long for this post :)
I'm glad you found a warm welcome and sound theology among "my" people!