Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Politics, as usual

Less than two months until the presidential election and I am counting the days.

Yes, I want change (and both Obama and McCain promise to bring it). Yes, I'm weary of the current administration. But mostly, I'm ready for it all to be over. I'm tired of the speeches, the half-truths, the promises. And it's only mid-September.

I sat at a table of Lutheran pastors and lay leaders at a meeting yesterday. As we ate lunch and made small-talk, I noted there were different political persuasions. One man was disatisfied with both presidential candidates but said he would now vote McCain because of Sarah Palin. Another man expressed shock at this (I happen to know he's an Obama fan, though he didn't disclose this publically). Most people kept their opinions to themselves and just discussed the phenomena, especially around Palin, who we Alaskans have known for years.

What didn't get mentioned in our small talk was the question I have in my heart (though I will confess I've made up my mind for Nov. 4). The question is this:

How does a person of Christian faith decide for whom to vote?

Now, if you attend other churches in town, the pastor might just tell you. Though I think that violates their 501 (C) (3) status! Maybe they just tell you indirectly. We don't do those kind of shenanigans here at Central.

So I pondered this and here's what I think so far. I'd be interested to know your ideas. Those of you in Blogland, remember I'm Lutheran, which focuses my theological lens.

How to pick a president (or any political leader)

* Pray. I think God encourages us to pray for our nation's leaders and potential leaders. As with everything, it's better not to ask Santa-God for a wish list. Rather, we pray for leaders' discernment and for decisions and actions that promote peace, justice and equity.

* Get informed. So Lutherans trust that God gave us these fantastic brains for a reason. So use them! Read up on candidates and issues, watch the debates. Check out articles or memoirs by candidates. Try to read and study from different sources or non-partisan opinions.

* Listen to others. This one's hard for me. But I believe we are called to listen the ideas and opinions of others, especially our friends and family, and especially if they have ideas that are different. In this way, we honor that Spirit that is in all of us and promote unity (not uniformity) in the body of Christ.

* Consider the widow, the orphan and the stranger. My seminary Old Testament professor said this phrase was like a drumbeat through the whole Bible. God is interested in what happens to the weak, poor and downtrodden. Liberation theologians speak of God's "preferential option" for the poor. Jesus blesses them. It's hard to wade through the promises but see if you can discern where a candidate stands on issues of poverty and hunger.

* Thank God! Be thankful that we live in a place where we can exercise freedom to vote, speak and assemble. Regularly thank God for what is good in our country, even while praying for things to improve.

* Get involved. If you prayerfully choose a candidate or cause worth supporting, do it! Consider ways to be part of the process or give financial support. Christians need not stand outside of the political process. God's mercy and love can work in strange and mysterious ways (even polical systems!) Be hopeful that your passion can create a more positive world.

No comments: