Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Almost Famous (almost)

It's been a big week for Alaskan women, apparently.

I had a phone call from a friend on Friday. It appears I was named Runner Up as "Best Preacher" in the Anchorage Press (weekly news/entertainment rag, for those outside of Anchorage). They did a "best of" everything survey recently(restaurants, DJs, live music, politicians, etc). See the results at:

http://www.anchoragepress.com/site/basicarticle.asp?ID=809

Scroll all the way to the bottom to see the preacher list. Jerry Prevo (Anchorage Baptist Temple) seems to have edged me out for the number one seat.

So, I've had a few emails, facebook hits, phone calls since then. Is this how Sarah Palin feels? At least no one's looking in to my shady past...

Anyway, thanks to my friends or whoever out there who thought to nominate me. Maybe someone was silly or maybe serious. Regardless, it's cute and I'm flattered.

I'm also thoughtful.

The side commentary in the Press noted that most readers left this one blank. Others wrote "anyone but Jerry Prevo" (again for those outside AK, Prevo is famed for a bit of fire and brimstone at his mega-temple). Others put "God" or "nature" and apparently someone put "f--k this category." Huh. How about that.

What I ponder about this experience is the loaded nature of that word, "preacher." Somehow this category is a turn off, an abomination or a mystery to the readers of the press. What? Can't a girl like good, dark beers and know a good preacher? Can't I hang out at Humpy's and still hear a sermon the next morning?

And what does it say about our religious/cultural life that we have to hate Jerry Prevo rather than knowing anything about any other preacher in town? Maybe we aren't visible, aren't "out there" enough as churches, pastors, Lutherans.

Maybe I should hold office hours at Kaladi's. Or Humpy's. Or Darwin's Theory. Maybe I'll see you there. Maybe I won't even preach.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Congratulations, Lisa!! :-)