Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Monday, September 08, 2008

Dancing with a Nun

The wedding was private, the reception, a public contra dance.

I did a wedding on Saturday for a couple who've been attending Central with some regularity and plan to join. The wedding was small and private, in the small rose garden on Anchorage's Park Strip.

Then it was off to Alpenglow ski area for a wedding reception, contra dance and North Carolina-style BBQ (a nod to the bride's home state).

After a delicous meal (and even vegetarian beans and rice) the caller in a white shirt and black vest fired up the band and invited us onto the floor for a circle contra dance.

Though I was wearing my collar, I'd put on a swishy red shirt and comfy cute flats for dancing. I had a great time.

We lined up again for a line contra dance and I was without a partner. Since many pairs were both women, I didn't mind when a woman I didn't know volunteered to be my partner.

She said, "I'll dance with the nun."

I got very quiet.

"I'm not a nun," I said, more impassioned than I intended. "I just did the wedding ceremony on the park strip. I'm a Lutheran pastor."

"Oh. I thought you came dressed in costume as a nun."

Great. Now I'm a nun.

Earlier that night, an attractive man had asked me if I was a priest. Groan.

All in a day's work, apparently, when serving the Lord.

Maybe I'll be a nun for Halloween. Nah, too close to home.

2 comments:

Cora said...

I know the feeling! During my first call a woman in the grocery store asked if that was the new wear for nuns now. I said no, I'm a pastor.

Yeah, nun is not a good Halloween costume. Better to go a little crazy for that time of year.

SHMT said...

I get the nun comment, too! At least no one called you "father..."