Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Not preaching, Part 2

Yup, still not preaching this Sunday. But one (ten) more comment(s) anyway.

"Whoever is faithful in very little is faithful also in much; and whoever is dishonest in a very little is dishonest also in much." (Luke 16:10).

I read somewhere once that a woman can tell a lot about a man from three things:
1.) How he treats the waiter.
2.) How he treats animals.
3.) How he treats his mother.

These are important; these are how he will treat you!

Little things make up our lives, little choices, little opportunities. Sometimes I think that my smallest choices have no consequence, yet they do set up patterns that weave the web of my actions and character.

So while the parables aren't meant to me solely moral lessons, I was thinking I might learn something here.

Another thought: sometimes since I'm still crawling out of ginormous student debt, I think I don't need to give much money to church and charity. Let me just admit here that I'm not a 10% giver (tither). I'd like to be, but I'm just not. I give a small amount each month to Central and that's about it.

This verse in Luke reminds me that while I don't have much, I can still give (because it's good for me and others need my gifts, not because Jesus will love me more :) So I'm thinking I'd like to up my church/charity giving.

Otherwise, it's like I don't really trust God or really believe that God will provide.

I saw a bumper sticker once:
"If you love Jesus, tithe. Anybody can honk."

Whoever is faithful in very little...

2 comments:

pb said...

It seems that life is all "little" things, isn't it? How many of us will ever decide the federal interest rate, weigh in on a presidential pardon, or have to decide what to do with the discovery of the cure for cancer? What we are faced with is the opportunity to tithe, to teach Sunday school, to hold the door open for a stranger, or to help an elderly neighbor shovel their driveway.

Pastor Andy Arnold said...

A year or two ago the ELCA Youth Ministry Network had a giving drive that went something like this: Printed on a T-Shirt front "I upped my giving, so..." and on the back "Up Yours!"

I apologize for reducing the number of non-white-haired folks who participate in the text study. Between John and me leaving, we've probably cut the "young adult" Alaska Synod clergy crowd in half!

Blessings,
AA