Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Church rant

While I'm on my church rant here, one more thing. This came across my email today, from Religion News Service, a wire service of religious news.

The author, Tom Ehrich, writes editorials for this site (www.religionnews.com)

"Whether they say so or not, I think most people come to churches on a spiritual quest. They might see their needs in more functional terms, like wanting friendship, loving good music, making business contacts, or doing the right thing by their children. But the heart of their quest, I think, is a hunger for God, born of a restlessness to which only God can respond. Responding to that spiritual quest is a tricky business. If congregations did want to honor the spiritual quest, what would they do? First thing, of course: stop arguing. Listen to the world you presume to care about. Listen to the aching hearts around you. Listen to the questions people are asking. Just be quiet."

Did I mention we have a taize service tonight (Sept 20, Thursday) at 7 pm?

No comments: