Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Thursday, August 09, 2012

Victory Bible Camp, Day 5

We're gathered.
Casta, Karen and our blueberry haul.

Today's theme at Bible camp was unity in Christ. That's unity, not uniformity. Since I was the only pastor left standing (read: here) I did the message at morning worship. I told two true stories about times when people helped me who were "unlikely suspects." Then I told the story of the Good Samaritan. We talked about how God made us different and that's a good thing. We all have different gifts, which is something to celebrate instead of fear.

I was tired this morning, since I was up late last night with some drama in the middle school girls cabin. A couple of girls were fighting and pulled others into it. When two of the counselors came over to find me (it was almost 11 pm), I walked back with them into a cabin FILLED with girls in a circle. I said a few words, prayed and dismissed everyone except the original two. We talked, they apologized, we all prayed and then went to bed (or at least I did). Whew. I thought about when I was in middle school. Everything was SO IMPORTANT and conflicts were TRAGIC. Whew.

This morning, another tragedy, but of the real kind. I got a Facebook message this morning from a member of Central to tell me this news: a woman in our congregation lost two sisters in a canoe accident in Eagle River yesterday. The husband of one of the sisters survived. I can't imagine the shock and sorrow. Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. I talked to her today and there are no words.

I also spent time on the phone today following up with one of the parents from the bullying situation yesterday.

Today was the last full day at camp. The weather was gorgeous, again! Campers spent their free time down at the waterfront on the boats and others bounced around in the gym on inflatables. I took another hike today on the ridge line above camp. Karen, Casta and I picked enough blueberries to fill Karen's hat; she promised to make jam enough to share.

Donovan in a skit at campfire tonight.
We had our last campfire this evening. Along with the usual songs and silliness, we also did a serious skit called "The Body Shop." It's the one where a person complains about not being happy with their body so they go to a "body shop" to try on a new one. Others are standing in various poses (athletic, musical, academic) and the person goes from one to another, "trying" them on. In the end, she decides her own one is the best. It's a good lesson, for all of us really, when we get distracted and wished we had someone else's gift, talent or ability.


Counselor Kevin and his duct tape shoes.

Now I'm sitting in Spruce Lodge, gathering place of the middle schoolers, for a talent show. Calvin just did a Justin Bieber impression and we're in the middle of a skit about goats that I don't understand. It's obvious the kids are having a blast, which is probably about all that matters.

Molly and Hanna Irish dancing at the talent show.



No comments: