Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Victory Bible Camp, Day 3 and 4


The view from camp

We're Forgiven.
We're Loved.

Those were themes for yesterday and today, respectively, at Lutheran Summer Camp at Victory.

Matanuska Glacier
I didn't write last night because I was too exhausted. It's the middle of the week now, and things start to fray a little at the edges. The kids are getting tired. Some bicker and fight with each other. The big one happened yesterday and I can't talk too much about it on a public blog. Let's just say this: one middle school kid accused another of some pretty serious bullying. Investigation ensued, complete with conversations with parents. It was pretty exhausting. Meanwhile, I was dealing with a couple of things back home with very poor cell phone service, "Can you hear me now?" What does God's love and forgiveness mean in all of this? I'm consistently shocked at how mean kids can be to each other. We spend the morning and night singing songs about God's love. I hope someone is listening.
Hiking to the fossil fields with Karen, Kathy and Casta

On a brighter note, the weather yesterday (Tuesday) was incredible. Kathy Freeman and I offered to take kids and adults on a hike up to the fossil beds above camp. We got mostly adult takers and it was a wonderful time. Karen Emmel, who was a geologist in a former life, joined us and gave us great background in rock formations and glacial actions. We talked a lot on the hike about how our faith is big enough to believe in God and evolution, the constant presence of God in our lives and the slow-moving shift of the earth's crust as mountains and valleys are slowly made over millions of years. It's all part of the great mystery.

I'm amazed every year at the beauty of the valley where the camp rests. I went running this afternoon on a ridge line above camp. Below me, the Matanuska River flowed by and I could see the ribbon of the Glenn Highway below.  Across from me and much higher, there was another mountain range, with snow on its farthest reaches. It's all so big and any problems in my life seem pretty small.

Even though we may wonder if the kids are paying attention, worship time is becoming more and more rich. Kids are getting to know the songs and the belt them out. Our high school counselors are great at participating and getting the kids to do the same. I watched one high school counselor gently squeeze between a few misbehaving kids at campfire last night. I watched another counselor volunteer quickly during Bible study to participate in Bible readings and acting out a skit. We tell these high school that camp isn't about them, it's about the kids. It's true, in a way, but there's also some incredible formation and leadership that's being learned here. 


No comments: