Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The worship and the stillness

This is the second posting of brief reflections on our trip to Taize. For those of you who have been there you know there's something about the worship that pulls people, engages them and quiets them.

Maybe it's the sound of dozens of brothers chanting in unity or the sight of their uniform white robes. Maybe it's the 10 minute period of silence where you can connect to God, yourself, or the God of your own understanding. Or maybe it's the repetition -- three times a day, whether you feel like it or not. And that last statment is from one of the brothers!

Taize draws thousands of people each year; summers draw thousands each week. The majority are young people. Let me say quite plainly: they're not coming for the food.

Why do they come?

Yes, it's a place for seekers but it's also a place where the Gospel is proclaimed. No, not in a sermon, but in Bible studies with a brother and small group conversation to follow. There's also gospel in the proclamation that everyone is welcome, everyone is accepted. No denominational card checks. No dogma screens. You are welcome and God loves you. That's what I heard. Again and maybe for the first time.

There is something about silence. My group members said it felt too long at week's beginning at too short at it's end. I tend to agree.

I used the space at first for my own agendas, thoughts, plans and fears. Then, slowly and with no particular intention on my part, I felt something soften. I loosened my grip.

And the prayers came naturally...for the brothers, for the volunteers, for the group I'd brought from Alaska, for members of my congregation...

It was a profound spiritual experience, to sense the Spirit move through me and stirring me to look upon others with love.

It is interesting to me that silence can be so powerful.

No comments: