Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Monday, March 23, 2009

Taize, first impressions

I've just returned from the week in Taize. It was not quite and yet everything I expected and desired. It was, in sum, a deeply spiritual experience.

I didn't blog on the trip, mostly because I was in my own world of reflection. But I'd like to share a few things with anyone out there in blog-land.

It's challenging to describe a powerful experience or trip with words, especially when you just return. Perhaps the effects come slowly, they evolve as we do.

My first impression of Taize was that I'd walked into a French Bible camp. Lodging, grounds, food, bathrooms, everything was simple and in some cases primative. Some pathways were paved but most were dirt and gravel. We sat on the floor in worship. We sat on simple benches with no backs at meals. We ate small portions of simple foods. No bathrooms had any hand towels or hand-dryers.

These things might enhance the spirituality of the place, or they might hinder the experience. I think for me it was mostly the former.

My initial reaction to the schedule was that it was busier than I'd expected. Worship was three times a day for at least 30-40 minutes. Meal times took a while because there was always a line. Everyone was expected to do chores, usually at least once a day. Then there was large group Bible study and small group reflection. There were also special workshops and presentations. Oh, and tea-and-cookie time. So the time passed swiftly. We found that if additional reflection and quiet time was needed it had to be taken intentionally.

There's more I want to say. I want to say how the worship impacted my life. I want to speak of the Bible studies. I want to say what this might have to do with you, all or any of you reading this missive.

I'll say those things later. Until then, I'll just remind myself and you that we're in the season of Lent. It's a time for an inward focus, a look deeper and beyond, a time for centering. I did that in Taize but it happens everywhere.

What does it take for you to



pause?

No comments: