Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Monday, December 22, 2008

O What fun with O Antiphons

I discovered the early church tradition of the O Antiphons this season.

Yes, I know my Catholic and Episcopal sisters and brothers have long known this lovely pre-Christmas tradition. But it's all new to me!

The joy of discovery is a good, good thing.

My spiritual director suggested I pray with the O Antiphons this season. In case you're a newbie to this like me, the seven antiphons are traditionally recited during vespers Dec. 17-23. This is a special time of Advent preparation.

The O Antiphons serve at least two purposes. Each one highlights a title for Messiah:

O Sapientia (wisdom)
O Adonai (Lord)
O Radix Jesse (root of Jesse)
O Clavis David (Key of David)
O Oriens (rising sun)
O Rex Gentium (king of nations)
O Emmanuel

Also, each one refers to Isaiah's prophecy of the coming of the Messiah.

I've been praying with each of these during my nightly prayer/meditation time. I like it. I like thinking of the diversity of names for the coming Lord. I like focusing on different aspects of the divine. I like singing one more verse each night of "O Come, O Come Emmanuel," where most of these names for Messiah are found.

So, in case you didn't know, now you do.

May Christ come to you in just the way you need this season.

2 comments:

ktjhawk said...

I love the O Antiphons!!!! I hope that you have found them a fruitful spiritual exercise.

SHMT said...

How did you go to seminary with Christine for 4 years and not know this? Glad you discovered them!