Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Bypassing Happiness

Why do we bypass happiness and choose crankiness, worry and fear?

Perhaps it's just because I'm a pastor and thus a repository for people's complaints, both trivial and life-changing. Maybe it's the economic downturn or my congregation's veeeery tight budget for FY 2009 but I seem to be hearing lots of complaining and unhappiness lately.

I attended a yoga workshop a few weeks ago where the presenter began not with headstands or hamstring stretches but this question: If at our deepest center is this level of peace, quiet and calm (Sanskrit: Ananda, or bliss) then why do we spend so much time in these outer layers of the physical world, mental chatter, stories we tell ourselves and our reativity to others. Good question.

Here's my addendum/Christian spin: If at our core we hold the light of Christ and the Holy Spirit dwells within us, why do we live with such unhappiness, negativity, complaining and just plain whining? Why do we do it ourselves? (I am, of course, asking the question of myself, too.)

So why don't we choose peace, gratitude and contentedness? Do we even know we have a choice? Do we see that we are not the sum of the stories we tell ourselves? We are not our feelings. We are not our reactions. We are created as God's image and bear the Holy Spirit within. Why not live out of that?

Well, Pastor Lisa, (some say) because the world is a rotten place. I've lost $100,000in my retirement account and my husband ran off with a younger woman. Or, I've lost all control of my children's actions and I feel left out and lonely. Or, I hate the hymns at Central and no one sets up for coffee hour and why don't we have a fellowship committee and where are the children in worship?

Yes, I hear you. I am truly sorry for your losses. But complaint on these smaller items without action or follow through? Listen up folks, when you notice that somebody should be doing it, that somebody is probably you. Listen up folks. God is calling. I'm just the receptionist.

I went to see a parishioner today at Providence Hospital; she requested prayer before her triple bypass.

I entered the room in all seriousness of my pastoral office. How are you, I said with great worry.

"I am so blessed," she responded, smiling.

Her story: chest pains were misdiagnosed last week as high blood pressure. On a second trip to the ER yesterday, a smart doc realized she had major blockages in three arteries. If not caught, the doc said, the heart attack that was soon to come would likely have killed her. She expressed complete thankfulness to God and to her family for getting her this far. She was joyful, peaceful and ready to face the surgery and recovery.

She is the single happiest person from my congregation I have seen in weeks.

Why do we bypass happiness?

Where are our blockages?

What if we don't clean out those blockages?

Why do we bypass happiness?

1 comment:

ktjhawk said...

God is calling. I'm just the receptionist.

awesome!

and good questions there at the end. That'll preach, as they say.