Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Monday, November 26, 2007

'Tis the season for distraction

Got prayer?

Nah, too busy. It's almost December, you know. Time for the marathon of Christmas cards/shopping/parties/cookies/gifts/fruitcakes/extra pounds. Y'all ready for this?

Timely, then, that one of our parishioners submitted an article for our December newsletter about being "too busy" for worship. She wrote about the rest and peace that comes when she does make that holy space.

Sometimes I think the busier I am, the more I MUST stop and rest, worship, pray. If I am full, there is no space for God to come in and nestle in the manger of my heart.

But we all get distracted.

In another newsletter from Christ Lutheran in Soldotna (shout out to Pr Randy) there's an opening letter about distractions in prayer. We all experience this, admit it. My moments of silence can be the loudest part of my day, with the echoing thoughts screaming in my brain.

Pr Randy quotes British theologian Herbert McCabe, so I will too. (Shout out to McCabe, where ever you are). Says McCabe, when we pray for "high-minded" things like wars to cease and the hungry to be fed, we may be easily distracted. Yes, these are good to pray for but they are not our deepest desires. We are distraced by our deepest desires, so pay attention to them. McCabe goes on:

"If you are distracted, trace your distraction back to the real desire it comes from and pray about these. When you are praying for what you really want you will not be distracted. People on sinking shops do not complain about distractions during their prayer."

Amen!

1 comment:

Pastor Andy Arnold said...

Well said. I may quote your quotes! :)

I guess we have more overlaps. Apparently Pr. Glenn knows Northridge Lutheran Church (has worshiped here) and knows Pr. Al R. and his wife Helen, who are members here.

AA