Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The conversation about death caught me off guard.

I'm a Lutheran pastor, so talking about end of life, meaning-making, heaven -- no problem. But this was yoga class, full of spiritual-not-religious types, some who've had not-so-nice church experiences.

I study yoga at a studio here in Anchorage, actually I'm in a training program to become a yoga teacher. (As my friend Marcia says: Lutherans Doing Yoga: What does this mean?) I digress....

The class meets four hours each Friday morning. We do asanas (poses), anatomy, adjustments and yoga philosophy.

Based on Hindu wisdom texts, these "yoga sutras" provide the undercurrent for yoga. They speak of how to live a life free from violence, distraction and grasping for material success. Yoga philosophy touches the core of what it means to be human.

So last Friday, there was a sutra on death. I'll paraphrase: The fear of death is the cause of suffering. Usually our teacher comments on the sutra, students say a few words and we move on.

This time, things got heavy. I didn't even realize what was happening until the entire room was in tears.

Stories just came out: One woman watched her father die and it was meaningful and healing. Another women had a memorial service scheduled that day for her grandmother. Another was reeling from news that a young friend has pancreatic cancer. They needed to speak. We all needed to listen.

We all need sacred spaces. I'm so thankful that our congregation provides safe spaces for this kind of sharing. But we don't have the monopoly on it.

So let's celebrate that sacred, holy sharing happens anywhere, everywhere. Look for it, in the space where you find yourself.

No comments: