Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Theology. Everyone's doing it. Especially song-writers.

I notice this when I listen to the radio. Do you? Tell me which songs; I'd love to hear.

What do I mean, "doing theology?" Well, they're talking about faith, God, life, death and what matters. C'mon! This is theology.

I heard this song by Switchfoot today on 102.1 here in Anchorage.

Check out some of the lyrics:
Maybe redemption has stories to tell Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go? Where you gonna go? Salvation is here

Also the chorus says: "I dare you to move."

Hmm. Salvation, redemption and forgiveness. Sounds churchy to me. I think he thinks those things are a good idea.

Here's another one of my favorites, it's from Gomez' CD "How we Operate." The line is: "The things that are given not won are the things that you want." Hey, how 'bout that for theology? Things like God's love, mercy, forgiveness and grace. Things like the love and kindness of other people. Heck yeah I'd rather have them given than try to win them.

It's theology.

What have YOU noticed?


Faith907

No comments: