Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Board of Redemption



I returned last week from a three-day board meeting at my Alma mater seminary in Berkeley, California. This is my third year on the board. I'm the youngest board member by at least 10 years, minus the representative from the seminary's student association. Many of the other board members have children my age and have impressive backgrounds in finance, law or experience on corporate boards. I'm a parish pastor, in fact, the only ordained person serving a congregation, though others are in specialized calls or serving as bishops.

Sometimes I feel a little inadequate, to say the least. Sitting on this board has been a stretch for me as I wrap my mind around board governance, financial documents and uncertain futures for small schools of theological education. I've learned what a board does and doesn't do and I'm getting better at asking good questions.

Board fellowship is also part of the gig; we're supposed to bond. We spend time at social hour before dinner, take meals together and stay in the same hotel. I'm slowly getting to know board members, hearing their stories, sharing some of mine and making connections with people who are amazing church men and women but who did not, at first, feel like my peers.

The longer I serve on this board, though, the more comfortable and connected I feel. I hope to make a positive impact. I'm getting there and I try to contribute as best I can.

What the other board members may not know, though, is that sitting on this board may be giving me more than I can ever offer to them. For me, it's as much a board of redemption as a board of directors.

I came to this seminary on the Master of Divinity track in the fall of 2001. I left behind my family and friends in Iowa and took a chance on moving far away. My college boyfriend was moving to California, too, and I'd hoped we'd share a great adventure, get married and live happily ever after. About 10 days after I arrived in Berkeley, planes crashed into the World Trade Center in New York City. The turmoil in our nation mirrored the turmoil in my own heart as I tried to adjust to my new surroundings.

It was hard. Being in seminary is unsettling and my adjustment was particularly tough. I was desperately homesick for family and friends back home and I struggled to connect with other students. I felt like I was too conservative for Berkeley and I couldn't find the right place to share my troubles.

The seminary had problems, too. Though I didn't know for sure what was happening at the board level, rumors swirled that the board wanted to sell our property and move the school. My fellow students and I wondered if the place would still be around to grant us a diploma. We knew money was tight and staff and faculty were overworked. We all were there despite the fact that scholarships were few and cost of living was high. I was sinking deeply into debt. When I went to the financial aid office each year to sign loan papers, I couldn't even look at the total I owed. I relied too much on credit cards, debt that would haunt me for years to come.

There were other problems at the seminary. One professor was gravely ill and it negatively affected our learning. I tried to confide in a member of the campus pastoral care team about my doubts about the seminary and she responded by venting about her own unhappiness there. Thankfully, both professor and staff member are long gone from the school. There were other staff and faculty transitions, too. Meanwhile, I sent off an application to another seminary so I could transfer.

Then, my boyfriend broke up with me, casting me into despair. A few months later, the seminary president, beloved by us all, died suddenly of a blood clot in the lungs. There was so much sorrow; I felt inconsolable. It seemed like absolutely everything was falling apart. My time in seminary was easily the spiritually lowest part of my life.

Though I had been accepted at another seminary, for some reason, I decided to stay. Perhaps the effort to leave was too much to bear in my miserable state. I decided to go on internship and was assigned to Alaska. The rest, of course, is history. I had a great internship, fell in love with Alaska, returned there for first call and met and married the real love of my life, Erik.

About three years ago, the president of the seminary called to ask if I'd consider being on the board. They needed someone from Alaska and I think they needed an ordained person. I hesitated, then had a long talk with a clergywoman from California who was going off the board. I told her some of my experiences and fears. She told me things were different. The seminary had undergone major changes with the new president. The seminary budget was in the black. Staff and faculty changes were positive and functional. The mood around campus was positive and hopeful.

So though I wanted to say no, I said yes. I nearly wept after the first board meeting. Or maybe I did. It was so functional! Things had changed in the four short years since I left. Things were very good. The spirit of forward-thinking and optimism was unmistakable. While I knew the place well, in some ways I didn't even recognize it.

For the second time in my life, I made a commitment to the seminary and I'm slowly growing into my new role. Now, things are in flux again, as our seminary considers a merger with a Lutheran undergraduate school in Southern California. The seminary would still be in Berkeley, but some things would, of course, change.

But I think some things will stay the same. There will always be challenges of living in a small Christian community, full of Christians who sometimes miss the mark. But the more time I spend here, the more I think that the heart of the seminary will always remain. It's a seminary of the west. It's a seminary in a secular world that still proclaims the heart of the gospel. It's a seminary that is still preparing leaders who can be creative and collaborative enough to face the changes in our church and world.

So, I'm sticking with my seminary. I'm sticking with a place that reminds me that God can bring new life from any situation. I'm sticking with the board, my board of redemption.






No comments: