Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Monday, June 02, 2008

Is the Church Dead? A Meditation on Lime Jello

So let's be honest: attendance at Central Lutheran Church ain't what it used to be. Neither is financial giving. Somehow, in transitions, we've lost a few folks and a few dollars.

Is it time to panic?

Some think so. It seems every couple weeks someone pops into my office with a high level of anxiety regarding this slow but steady downward trend. I hear the anxiety. I appreciate the worry.

But I don't think God intends for us to live like that. If you want to know what Jesus though about worry, see Matthew chapter 6.

Anyway, I'm not going to lecture about trusting God or listening for the invitation of God's spirit into our uncertain future. Insert your own sermonic points here.

I want to tell you about having folks from Central over for Lime Jello. With crushed pineapple.

At Central we've been doing this little campaign called Central Community Desserts. We grouped folks in area codes and asked one or two people to host a fellowship event. During the gathering, there would be facilitated conversation about Central: what connects people to Central, our mission/ministry, and what else we could be doing.

14 people gathered in my small living room, ages ranging from 14-60 plus. I say that because it's possible someone there was in their 70s but I don't want to hazard a guess. Two of the boys from our Drop In Center attended. Some sitting around the circle were life-long members of Central. Others were pretty new, members for less than a year.

I served Lime Jello. And cheese and crakers, chocolate cake and a luscious fruit salad. (Shout out to Mary and Les Krieger for helping with food and punch). And we talked.

People said what they liked about Central.

"I always feel welcome," one said. Another remembered her first reaction: "I am home." And yet another: "Central has become our family."

We brainstormed about how to better witness to our faith (like, could we practice sharing our faith stories with each other?) and discussed more opportunties for fellowship (more potlucks, was the enthusiastic consensus).

We also read quotes from recipients of Central's benevolences (Lutheran Social Services, Dillingham Lutheran Church, Sandra Rudd (an intern pastor at St. Mark). Amazed at the scope of where and what we give, someone said, "Why don't we blow our own horn a little more?"

All of this over Jello salad.

My main point is this: our life together in Jesus Christ is NEVER defined by numbers or dollars. Our life in Christ is ONLY defined by what Christ has already done for us and how we live out that love in community. And I saw that community in my living room, where we were so cramped that some sat on the floor with their lime Jello.

And I saw it as folks left, too. They were hugging each other. They were wishing one of the Drop in Center students good luck on his upcoming school trip to Russia. They were asking if he'd give a photo presentation for all of us when he returned.

There was nothing to fear. There was only hope.

2 comments:

SHMT said...

So, lots of good stuff in the post. Mostly I can't get past the lime jello, though. I LOVE that you served lime jello. You're so mid-western, you should host a theme dinner. :-)

Central Lutheran said...

Three baptisms and families joining in two weeks?

Not a picture of a dead church.

And lime jello with pineapple? That's just for those who really wanna live life on the edge. Got any leftovers?

--kf