Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Holy Wednesday

Five years ago today, the US sent troops into Iraq. I was living in Berkeley, land of the protesters. Though I had aseembled for non-violent actions before, I did not choose to march in any of the peace protests. I was too upset. I was a lukewarm Bush supporter and felt totally betrayed. The message from media and the government was not to criticize the decision to go to war (apparently critical thinking and caring about democracy was unpatriotic) and I should go shopping. I was too broke, so I just brooded.

Today I brooded too, now that nearly 4,000 US service men and women have lost thier lives in Iraq. By some estimates, Iraqi lives lost may be greater than 500,000. Regardless of the number, it's just too many.

Sometimes I forget we are at war with Iraq. If I think about it too long and hard, I'm tempted to drop into despair. Isn't it easier sometimes to just be oblivious, to just go with the flow?

But as I said yesterday, we are HOLY people, called to be set apart for God's work. And while I deeply believe God loves President Bush, I also believe God values justice, compassion, mercy and kindness. I will leave it to God to judge how our nation's leaders stack up.

Meanwhile, though I get compassion fatigue, I will keep reading about the war in Iraq and keep praying. If I feel compelled to speak, I will speak. We have hope that peace will come to that part of the world that God loves so much. It is our rock to which we cling, we who move toward cross and grave this Holy Week.

1 comment:

pb said...

I remember being in Nome five years ago. I was the mainline, liberal voice of peace in a conservative community that was very much in favor of the war. An interesting time of learning. It's just unfortunate, I think, that we continue to learn on this subject. I do believe a single life lost to war is one too many. We continue to pray, and trust that God will bring peace. (Some days it's hard to imagine.) Thank you for reminding us. I wonder if there is any irony that this anniversary should fall during Holy Week?