Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Monday, October 08, 2007

Faith, starring Glenn P.

Can I just say that I love working with our new senior pastor Glenn Petersen? This sounds like I'm sucking up but he preached a good sermon on faith yesterday. Here, a few gems worth repeating.

* Faith is not a choice but it prompts choice.

* Faith is personal but not private.

* We don't own our faith. Our faith owns us. (It belongs to a community).

* Faith lives in us. It's not something we have.

* We "keep the faith" by living it, by giving our love, compassion, kindness away.

Good stuff, eh? Thanks Glenn!

1 comment:

Davidx7 said...

Did you see the movie about the later day superheros called Mystery Men? One of my favorite lines is: “When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack”.

I don’t mean to denigrate anything Pastor Glen was saying, and such formulaic construction can be delightful, but when public speaking I try to avoid them. They take whatever it is in your heart and soul out of what you’re saying and replace it with mnemonic. For example: “These are the times that try men’s souls” vs “A sole tried on is a soul on trial” Thomas Paine wrote the first, I just wrote the second – which will endure?

All apologies and love and best wishes to Pastor Glen. I’m sure there was much more to what he was saying than was paraphrased.