Musings on faith and life from an Alaska Lutheran pastor.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Aetheism 101

Lots of people don't believe in God. Sometimes I forget this; I'm immersed in the business (busy-ness?) of faith.

An NPR interview with aetheist author Sam Harris last week jolted me. Listen yourself on NPR's Web site: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6166802

His main points (as I understand them):
* Christianity is damaging and the church has hurt people.
* Christians deceive themselves with made up stories of God.
* There is a universal morality that should guide our decisions.

This might be oversimplified. But it's important to listen. Harris has written two books: "End of Faith," and "Letter to a Christian Nation."

Why should people of faith listen? Because people like Harris will make us mad. They also challenge us. Make us think.

Thinking is good. We don't check our brains at the church door.

So listen.

Wonder.

Ask.

Let me know what you come up with. I spent a couple nights tossing and turning over Harris' book "Letter to a Christian Nation."

I'll write more later....I'd love to hear what others think....

Faith907

No comments: